Days left in elimination project!

17 February 2012

LABELS, LABELS, LABELS!!!

CHECK THEM!!

I was actually quite lucky when I checked after the fact last night - Whew!!!

So, I made some lovely veggie soup last night - and of course did my usual of melting of a bit of Butterschmelz (German version of Ghee) and then sautéing some carrots, onions and celery before adding the tomatoes, spinach and beans.  Then I thought - Sh#t - I bet Butterschmelz has some casein in it :(  I was not sure (as I know the milk protein is removed in the process, but I was not 100% sure it was casein free).  So, I quickly did a search and of course it IS (thank goodness) casein free :)  

This is great news, as one of the things I make regularly (and by that I mean 3-4 times a week) is curry of some sort and the first thing I do is melt Butterschmelz and sauté onions in it before adding the other ingredients.  I am very happy that it is indeed casein free.

What this did though was teach me a big lesson!  I have learned there are so many things that have "hidden" gluten in them (ie things you would not expect  to have it- like medicine, toothpaste etc...) and I need to have that same caution with labels for the casein and soy that I do the gluten. I already found this out when I looked at the label for my daily calcium/vit D tablet I take (which contains soy).

I have also done some reading about eliminating casein to see if you have an intolerance - what I have found out is that you need to do at least 6 weeks before adding some back in to see.  This is ONLY if you are already gluten free.  They recommend that if you are not already eating gluten free - you need to remove casein from your diet for 2-3 months before you will notice any difference.  I am going to stick to the 30 days.  I have been gluten free for so long that I think 30 days should be enough for me.  

One other bit that I did read that was interesting - is that the reason so  many celiacs are also casein intolerant is because they (gluten and casein) have very similar molecular structure - and they are both broken down by the villi in your intestines - and of course - since mine are severely damaged that they do not work properly to digest the gluten.  So, we will see in over a month if they are breaking down the casein as well.  Fingers crossed and thumbs pressed that we sort this out.

A few interesting links on the subject::

No comments:

Post a Comment